I recently had the pleasure to be at CEIC in Orlando where I presented on BitTorrent and Fundamentals of a Linux Investigation. I also managed to get to see a number of the other presentations and was really impressed with the presentations on Live Memory by Mike Webber from BitSec Forensics, Malware investigations presented by the guys from HBGary and the USArmy stars Dave Shaver and Ryan Pittman. If you have never seen Dave Shaver present you are really missing out on some good entertainment.
The evenings led to some good networking opportunities and I spent a good evening or two with Mike (the package) Webber and the boys from the Gwent Police HTCU from Wales.
Matt Shannon was a hit in the exhibitors hall and had a very crowded booth for the entire conference. It was really good to see Matt and learn all about his new platform support, watch this space is all I can say.
Top ten things I learnt at CEIC (Fun and Facts);
- By increasing the block size in EnCase from 64 to 256 during acquisition can improve the imaging time by 60% ( Thanks the guys from Tableau).
- Opera is the safest browser by far and we should all switch immediately (Thanks the guys from HBGary)
- Do not use the freezer technique on hard drives, unless they are Western Digital or you are likely to get moisture on the platters.
- F-Response now works on the Solaris platform.
- Mike Webber can drink a lot of beer.
- Guidance has a new product called EnCase portable that can be used for triage. The user can preset up the search environment and enscripts and then boot the computer to search for evidence.
- Leonard Nimoy gives a very humorous keynote speech.
- The viewing of images in Gallery view in EnCase can be speeded up dramatically by sorting the table view by full path. This prevents EnCase having to constantly move around inside the image to display the graphic images.
- Mike Webber now is known by the nickname “The Package” ( You need to ask him to retell the story).
- The rain in Orlando is torrential and did not stop all week, the only way I was going to get at a tan CEIC was to rust in the rain.
No comments:
Post a Comment